Our best decorating tips will give you lots of new ideas to style and redecorate your home. And the best part… most tips are DIY.
When home lovers start to redecorate their homes, many wish to undertake much of the work themselves. Others don’t have the time or inclination. However, if you’re one that LOVES to roll up your sleeves and lavish your creativity our best decorating tips are for you. Otherwise use an expert interior designer.
Steal Our Best Decorating Tips
– hang ceiling to floor drapes to create drama and provide relief from drafts
– fake a carpet runner up wooden stairs by painting a wide central band with a black border using glossy paint
– use stencils to paint patterns and florals on a wooden floor
– paint one wall in a bold colour and hang a dramatic art work or ornate framed mirror
– wallpaper or paint the wall behind book shelves for instant luxury and dramatic interest
– instead of painting cupboards black, try a dark blue or indigo with gold or rose gold hardware. Fabulous!
– choose an outrageously bold fabric for a single arm chair. You will LOVE the uniqueness this will create
– throw a coloured sheepskin rug on the bed, not the floor
Don’t Be Afraid of Dark Colours
don’t be afraid of dark colours, even black. If a room is dark anyway with little natural light, a dark colour will create cosiness. Add pops of bright or moody colour and ambient lighting
– paint wooden floors in Black Japan paired with bright white walls and ceiling
– if you have a freestanding bath, hang sheer fabric to the floor around the bath. Use a wide ribbon in a generous length to tie back
– organize bar clutter on a retro drinks cart. Place mixed bottles of spirits, fancy glasses, and an ice bucket mixed with a book on making cocktails, swizel sticks and a bowl of lemons
when arranging books, don’t place via size. Instead, arrange those with similarly coloured spines together for an artistic effect
Don’t Be Matchy-Matchy
– instead of having matching bar stools, choose the same chair style and upholster in different colours of the same fabric. This applies to dining chairs too. Alternatively, choose a single colour and upholster chairs in different hues from dark to light. Beautiful upholstery will make a huge difference to the style of your home
– spray paint a concrete garden statue in a bright colour and place inside
MY TOP TIP: Don’t seek perfection. The best homes are those that are perfectly imperfect. Live with what you love… discard what doesn’t make your heart sing
Want More Best Decorating Tips?
Read our great post on home styling with easy ideas for every room.